Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013)

Japanese title: 劇場版あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない
(Gekijouban Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai)

Comments on Movie: Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013)
"An unusually melancholic exercise in grief, regret and the vagaries of memory, an anime that didn't have a traditional plot arc but which tended to derive much of its dramatic and emotional momentum out of the interior worlds of its characters." - Jeffrey Kauffman, Blu-ray.com.

"If you are a fan of Anohana, there is definitely enough that is new here to make it worth a watch. Just don't expect a coherent, well-paced film." - Richard Eisenbeis, Kotaku

"Certainly a tear inducing anime about love and friendship and it is also probably the most beautiful hide and seek story we'll ever come across." - Rosalyn Lim.

Genre/Tags 
Anime Comedy Drama Friendship Romance Supernatural 
2D Animation Rosalyn's Favorite Animated Feature

Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) Trailer

Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) at a glance
Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) is an anime romance comedy drama film directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai. It is loosely based on the 2011 11-episode television anime series and visual novel of the same name by Mari Okada. The film is the 14th highest-grossing anime film in 2013.

Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) Synopsis
A year has passed since Menma's ghostly return to the Super Peace Busters. Although the time they spent together during that summer was short, the five members reminisce about what happened as they each write a letter to their lost friend.

Movie Review: Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013)
Super Peace Buster Secret Base

Filled with abundance of the characters' childhood memories which are so innocent, pure and nostalgic; and personal struggles, which are quite depressing at times, Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) is certainly a tear inducing anime movie about love and friendship and it is also probably the most beautiful hide and seek story we'll ever come across. 

Jintan and Menma hiding together.

The movie revolves around a group of six childhood friends who used to be really close with each other until one of them died in an unfortunate event. Since then, most of them drifted apart and lived in different degree of guilt in their own. When Menma returned as a ghost and Jintan started to be able to see her apparition, the gang reunited. Though not smoothly but steadily, their friendship rekindled.

Painting by Tsuruko.

Although how the unfortunate event actually happened and caused Menma's death is not evident, this animated feature is worth to watch. The plot may not be straightforward as there are plenty of non-chronological flashbacks but it is touching and heartfelt.

Smiling photo of Menma.

In the end, the biggest lessons learned from this movie is that we must face reality and our feelings. Sometimes, the words and actions expressed hold much more meanings to it which we wouldn't know until we communicate with each other. The characters' memories and struggles are heartbreaking but they are also essential as it reminds us the value of love, life and friendship. 

Nokemon Trading.

PS. This is the first movie request on this blog (many weeks ago, sorry lol). Now it is one of my favorite! Will try to speed up my movie reviews and do more requests! ^^

Movie Ratings
Will write a page regarding this and add this to all animated feature entries in the future.

Who will like this?
Fans of AnoHana!! Even if you're not a fan, give this movie a chance to move you!!

PS. I'll watch the anime episodes someday!!

Details of the movie
Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai
Producer: Mikihiro Iwata, Noriko Ozaki, Shunsuke Saito
Story: Mari Okada
Screenplay: Mari Okada
Cinematography: Shinji Nasu
Music: Not sure.
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Starring: Ai Kayano, Yumi Irino, Saori Hayami, Takahiro Sakurai,Haruka Tomatsu
Full Credit: [IMDb]
Distributor: Not sure.
Country: Japan
Language: Japanese, English
Genre: Comedy Drama Romance Supernatural
Running time: 99 mins
Budget: Not sure.
Box office: USD 10,200,000 est.

Official website(s)
http://a1p.jp/
http://anohana.jp/
http://anohana-game.jp/

Related
A-1 Pictures
Rosalyn's Favorite
Rosalyn's Animated Movie Marathon

Behind the Scenes
N/A

Favorite Movie Character
At the train station.

Chiriko "Tsuruko" Tsurumi is the most mature and logical minded person among the six. She is great at painting and is excellent in her studies. Usually, she is quiet as she is always observing and always hiding her true feelings. She is very patience and devoting to Yukiatsu, her childhood friend. She always silently stay by his side as she loves him dearly. Menma also loves how kind she is and has expressed that if she is reincarnated, she wants to be born as a kind girl just like Tsuruko!

Anohana the Movie: The Flower We Saw That Day (2013) Movie Quotes
  1. Are your friends from back then still your friends?
  2. Thank you for the vivid and bittersweet summer.
  3. I've seen it before, the way he runs, headed to our secret base.
  4. Together with Jintan, Anaru, Yukiatsu, Tsuruko, Poppo and Menma. 
  5. Together to our Super Peace Buster Secret Base.
  6. Menma, where are you? Hurry and come out now! 
  7. I-it's hide and seek.
  8. Menma still hasn't said goodbye properly.
  9. Not yet..
  10. This spot is mine okay?
  11. Are you done hiding?
  12. Menma sometimes feel doki doki/strange.
  13. Right now, Menma feels like playing with everyone.
  14. Menma can't be with the others. That's what Menma thought all this time. Because Menma is just like a Nokemon. (Pokemon)
  15. You come with our team.
  16. The first Nokemon I got from trading was Viviton.
  17. Isn't it unfair? 
  18. It isn't fair if you got Jaguras and Menma got Viviton.
  19. Don't cheat her.
  20. M-menma doesn't mind getting a Viviton. Because Viviton's ability is dancing with everyone!
  21. Alright! Let's make this our secret base!
  22. Everyone means not something lined up and hardened like a dango. But more like a grain of rice, one by one gathered together, then starting to boil and becoming warm rice. That's what "everyone" means to Menma. 
  23. But I made sure to be hard to find.
  24. Found you!
  25. A letter to Menma.
  26. What am I, an elementary schooler?
  27. I don't know what to write. 
  28. There are many things you want to say to Menma, right?
  29. Not what you want to say to Menma, but things you "must" say to Menma.
  30. Important stuff - premium milk cookie.
  31. I loved him so much.
  32. Just answer it. Super Peace Buster don't need to hide a secret.
  33. That day Menma left and my words couldn't reach her.
  34. Words that can't reach. Words that can't be spoken. Words that I keep inside.
  35. Excuse me, Nokemon please!
  36. E-eh, it's 4,800 yen!
  37. Sorry, it's sold out.
  38. You think I'm a good guy? Damn brat.
  39. That was the first time I had gone to a place like that. Singing in front of everyone, it was embarrassing.
  40. Everyone singing their souls out when the list doesn't have many choices.
  41. Even if it's just karaoke, it's still a bjt too much.
  42. I can enjoy many great things because of you.
  43. At first I was always stubborn and looked down on others until you appeared.
  44. Don't leave behind any of your inferior DNA!
  45. It's not. Women are really simple minded.
  46. The beast of summer is really ferocious.
  47. Why would you make some for Uncle but not for Menma?
  48. Can you get rid of that habit of calling everything "cute"?
  49. It's a great phrase though, it can be used anywhere.
  50. You're biased towards uncle.
  51. Sure it's cute but it's not good!
  52. How are you going to have your wish granted if you don't even know what it is?!
  53. What is it really, I wonder?
  54. Barrier!
  55. This is the beast of summer. The source of my stress. My trauma. 
  56. To me who wants you to pull me.
  57. That time, something inside of me that had stopped working started to move again.
  58. Where are you? If you are nearby, don't forget to give me a call okay? Even if I have no time, I'll blast over to your place in no time! But if you've reincarnated as a baby, you can't call me since you don't have a cellphone. But even if that's the case, then please ask your mother to call me okay?
  59. Dear Poppo, I love how funny you are.
  60. You know, I always put flowers here. After that day. In the place where you left. I put them there. 
  61. Because of how weak I was back then, I always think of my entire life as a punishment.
  62. There is someone other than me who is still thinking about you.
  63. So because I can't see you, I started to change myself.
  64. Menma wants to talk to everyone!
  65. Instead of apologising to to, what I did always made you more sad.
  66. Maybe the way I run from reality is the same with doing that act.
  67. Do I look okay to you?
  68. If Menma wants to show herself, she should be in front of me! Haunt me or curse me.. She should show up in front of me! But Menma didn't show up.
  69. You still remember about that hair clip I gave you.
  70. Thank you! We've got his photo!
  71. Look? See how popular I am.
  72. Because if I wrote it alone at home I would cry.
  73. Don't get any closer than that.
  74. I realized that there is one thing I can't make happen with my talent. 
  75. Sometimes I shut off my own feelings. Even to Yukiatsu. 
  76. All this time, I've loved him. But I can't win against you. And after you're gone, with inly me beside him, it was more than enough for me. 
  77. I keep my feelings just like that. Because that way, my feelings won't be hurt. 
  78. If you keep hiding it you'll go berserk you know?
  79. In your letter you said you love how steady I am right? But I don't think I am that steady because I'm always worried.
  80. The way some people always emit some aura that will never give up. I'm really envious of that part of you because I can't be like that.
  81. "Today I fell when playing with everyone, it really hurt."
  82. That's right! Let's write a letter to God! It will say "please heal Jintan's mom soon!"
  83. "We agreed to make fireworks. It'll be difficult but we will still work hard."
  84. We wanted to attach a letter on the rocket firework and send it to God!
  85. Why you push yourself so hard like that?
  86. I know I'm terrible but I felt happy.
  87. I can't forgive myself that I feel happy about it because those words hurt Menma's feeling a lot.
  88. I can't forgive myself for falling in love with you.
  89. I better say it all so I can feel relieve.
  90. It's okay young lady. I don't know what happened but try not to blame it all on yourself.
  91. That's right, don't say you're an idiot. 
  92. We're always thinking too much.
  93. Goodbye Menma.
  94. It's okay, we'll meet tomorrow.
  95. My feelings always come true when I believe in you!
  96. Everyone, thanks for coming! Tomorrow Menma can rest in peace.
  97. Please stay friends until the end. 
  98. Nokemon and foreigners they are the same, you know?
  99. Nokemon they live outside but cannot get inside the city. So they are the same. And I think Menma is the same as Nokemon and foreigners because Menma is an outsider so Menma should not enter places like school or home.
  100. Super Peace Busters Secret Base! A place where everyone goes back to.
  101. I love you too!
  102. It's the I want to marry you type of love, right?
  103. Doesn't the cake need baking powder so it can get fluffy?
  104. The truth is Touko wasn't an expert at cooking but that is what made her cute.
  105. I've been told that I have stopped growing.
  106. What's important is our feelings that are in the letter.
  107. The feeling that's locked inside ourself can't reach you. So we keep trying to face our feelings. And shout it all out.
  108. She wants to talk with everyone, not only with me. That's why she wants to move on and be reincarnated. 
  109. Without all six of us, we are not Super Peace Busters.
  110. There is only one thing, Jintan never cried. Maybe he deliberately hide his emotions after I became like this.
  111. I want to be reincarnated but that is the only thing making me worried. He already holds it in too much. I want him to express his emotions. Like laughter, anger or even crying. 
  112. Menma promises! Menma will make Jintan cry!
  113. I think this is a punishment because I kept it a secret from you.
  114. Everyone is waiting for you.
  115. Poppo still used rock, he never changed.
  116. Super Peace Busters always together.
  117. Yukiatsu, when you are dressed like a girl, Menma thought you were pretty. And you have a prettier heart than anyone.
  118. Anaru always do the best you can and your heart is do warm. When Menma is around you, Menma feels spoiled by you.
  119. Tsuruko, you are always nice to me, whenever it is. If Menma is reincarnated, I want to be born a girl just like you.
  120. Poppo, you always entertain us with your jokes. Menma is laughing so hard because of you, it makes the stomach hurt.
  121. When everyone's together, Menma feels really happy but I realized one thing. When you guys are together, everyone feels sad too. 
  122. You always imitated Honma Meiko.
  123. Your sister is slow minded. Maybe she still doesn't know that she is already dead.
  124. When I'm together with you, I remember, always remember those sad memories. I don't like that feeling.
  125. You always think about others. Please think about yourself!
  126. Your attitude makes me sick, you know! Even when you're hurt, you're still laughing. Even when you're crying you're still thinking about others!
  127. When Menma remembered the wish, I couldn't tell it to you.
  128. Is it really that painful?
  129. On that day you pulled my hand. On that day you made a promise with me. 
  130. This is from her diary.
  131. Dear Tsuruko, I love how kind you are.
  132. Dear Yukiatsu, I love how hardworking you are.
  133. Dear Poppo, I love how funny you are.
  134. Dear Anaru, I love how steady you are.
  135. I love you, Jintan. It's the "I want to marry you" type of love.
  136. Are you ready?
  137. I'm ready!
  138. Menma, found you!
  139. I've been found.
  140. I'll find all of you, without a single one left.
  141. We're playing hide and seek, why are you writing a letter at a time like this?!
  142. The rumor that woman will shout if they are horny is true.
  143. We will always be friends forever.
  144. What are you girls talking about. Let me in too, "the girls talk"!
  145. "Girl's talk"? I want to join too.
  146. Even if there are only few precious memories of you left, we'll make sure we won't forget them. 
  147. He's our leader after all.
  148. Our leader is amazing.
  149. Next time invite them all to pray together, okay?
  150. If I reincarnated, what would I become? 
  151. A flower? A butterfly? An ant? Or a potato? Whatever I become doesn't matter because Super Peace Busters are always together!


Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel