Kyoto - Arashiyama

Bamboo Forest -
Last July Bob and I made a trip to Kyoto prefecture and visited Arashiyama. The kids were away at summer camp and we took the opportunity to visit another area in Kyoto. I knew it would be more temples and shrines and they were not too excited to see more of these so just the two of us went.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but Kyoto is my favorite prefecture in Japan so far. It is so diverse and full of Japanese historic significance not to mention really beautiful. There are roughly five distinct areas to visit in Kyoto and we have been to two of the five regions so far.

Arashiyama is famous for its bamboo forest and monkey park. We went in the summer so we did not see the spectacular lights they use in the winter to create a beautiful winter wonderland in the forest. The forest was still impressive and I am glad to have experienced it for myself.
Kyoto, Arishiyama Bamboo Forest
Lotus garden -
There were some beautiful gardens around Kyoto. I finally got to see one of the giant lotus seed pods in many American dried flower arrangements. I never knew the giant seed pod was from a lotus flower until I saw one in Kyoto. Here are the flowers in bud form as well as full bloom. They really are very beautiful and much larger than I ever realized.
Lotus seed pod, bloom and open flower
Monkey Park -
The next stop on our itinerary was the Arishiyama monkey park.  Honestly I was not getting my hopes up because well you know, I was expecting to see some contrived monkeys in cages which they would then charge us some exorbitant price to feed pieces of fruit or something. Much to my surprise, it was wonderful.

We had a pretty good hike to the top of this mountain area and all along the way we were reading signs about not feeding the monkeys. Signs warning,  "Do not take plastic bags and do not look the monkeys in the eyes". I was starting to wonder what we had signed up for and if I really wanted to hike this mountain to be freaked out by some crazy monkeys.

It was a beautiful day so we were thoroughly enjoying our hike up the mountain. I was keeping my eyes open for one of these crazy saru's (monkeys) that might just attack me if I looked at them the wrong way. Towards the top of the mountain we spotted our first monkey, no kidding a baby monkey was scurrying along the hiking trail following its mother who was a ways off in the thicket. I could not believe how close they were and that they just went running by us.

Ok I thought, this could be really cool. But I must admit I was still skeptical about what it would be like at the top. We passed a family almost near the top with elementary age kids and the father mentioned something in passing about, "You will be glad you made the hike, it's worth it."

Alright, I was encouraged and if a guy with his family of three kid can handle the experience, I am probably going to be safe from a monkey attack. I was starting to get kind of excited since I had seen the baby monkey and a few others close by.
Arishiyama Monkey Park, Kyoto Japan
It was a really cool experience at the top of the mountain. The monkeys were loose just hanging out and going about their business. You could feed the monkeys if you chose to via a small wooden hut enclosed with wire so the monkeys could not get to you if you had food. They thought of everything at this place and trained the monkeys effectively only to take food from tourists via the feeding hut.

It was well worth the hike up the mountain and I was amazed at how close we got to the monkeys. I was a bit surprised by how disinterested the monkeys were in all the people mingling around. If you are ever in Kyoto, this is one place I highly recommend you make the trip to see.

Temples and Shrines in Kyoto -
We visited several temples and shrines around Kyoto including some with unique moss gardens and a Zen Buddhist garden which was the first I have ever visited. The surrounding grounds were really extensive, serene, and beautiful to tour.
Moss garden on the grounds of a temple
Kinkaku-Ji Temple -
Next stop was Kinkaku-ji, officially named Rokun-ji, a Zen Buddhist temple in Kyoto. This is often referred to as the Golden Temple and you can see why. It is a very famous temple and one of the must sees if you take a trip to this part of Kyoto so we went to see it for ourselves.
Kinkaku-ji or the Golden Temple - Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto Tower -
On our way home I just had to take the typical tourist picture of Kyoto Tower outside Kyoto station. We had a wonderful trip. I am pretty sure we walked twelve hours one day and I do not know how many miles. We took in some very famous and beautiful landmarks in Kyoto and I can't wait to schedule a visit to another region.
Famous Kyoto Tower just outside Kyoto station
Thank you for your support whether you are giving financially or praying for our ministry. We appreciate your commitment and investment in what God is doing in Japan. We are grateful for your partnership and excited about the opportunities God is providing. Please continue to pray for our family, open hearts for those God brings across our path, and wisdom to love those around us well.

In Christ
K. Chadduck






Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel