Mewtwo Returns (2000)

Mewtwo Returns (2000) Poster

Japanese title: ポケットモンスター ミュウツー! 我ハココニ在リ 
(Poketto Monsutā: Myuutsū! Ware wa Koko ni Ari)

Comments on Movie: Mewtwo Returns (2000)
"A follow up to Pokémon the First Movie and a must watch for Mewtwo fans! This is how Pokémon films should have been from the start!" - Rosalyn Lim.

"Mewtwo was absolutely awesome!" - Denise, Copy Cat.

There are not much reviews on this animated feature...

Genre/Tags 

Mewtwo Returns (2000) Trailer
Mewtwo Returns (2000) at a glance
Mewtwo Returns (2000) is the sequel of Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998). Directed by Kunihiko Yuyama, it is Pokémon's first TV special and direct-to-video movie. Featuring the legendary Pokémon Mewtwo, Mewtwo Returns (2000) is the first Pokémon television film.

Mewtwo Returns (2000) Synopsis
Deep in a remote area of the Johto Region is a place with crystal clear waters, forbidding mountains… and a secret. Mewtwo and his fellow super-clone Pokemon have finally found a home where they can live and thrive, far from the prying eyes and harsh judgments of humans. 

In Pokemon: The First Movie. Mewtwo removed all traces of his battle with Mew, of the clones, and even of his very existence! Everyone's memory was erased except for that of Giovanni, the evil force behind Mewtwo's creation. 

Now the devious Team Rocket leader has discovered Mewtwo's idyllic hideaway. And as luck would have it, so have Ash, Pikachu and their friends. Soon Giovanni confronts Mewtwo with an agonizing challenge: submit to his human authority or stand by as the super-clones are sacrificed. An all-out battle seems certain, but the starting effects of their unique environment suddenly come into play… leaving the fate of Mewtwo in Ash's hands!

Movie Review: Mewtwo Returns (2000)

Team Rocket's boss Giovanni and Black Tulip 009, Domino.

Organizing a personal Pokémon Movie Marathon (22 films) makes it less difficult to distinguish the differences between the Pokémon films and it is fun to observe their growth over the years. However, I can't tell which Pokémon films is the best yet even though I have seen all of them before long ago as I watched them in different years and I do not have perfect memories.

Pikachutwo and Ash's Pikachu.

At this point, I am just done rewatching one quarter of all Pokémon films ever released by Pokémon but I think I have identified one thing from watching Mewtwo Returns (2000); this is how Pokémon films should have been from the start!

Mewtwo in the first movie.

Mewtwo Returns (2000) is a follow up to Pokémon the First Movie. It may be confusing to those of you who have not seen Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998) and the short anime The Birth of Mewtwo but if you do, you will notice that this one has a better script. The characters are not that flat anymore by being more lively and expressive, just like its TV anime series. However, like almost everything else in the world, it is not perfect but still interesting to watch.

Mewtwo has changed.

In brief, this animated feature champions equality, wonder and nature of life, which leisurely reveal to us the charm of Pokémon world in addition to revealing to us more about Mewtwo! Although Mewtwo appears to be less invincible here, it has a softer heart and a much enlightened mind so that development is a must watch for Mewtwo fans!

PS. I couldn't post once a day for now due to unexpected schedules but I plan to complete Pokémon Movie Marathon before 2014 ends!! ;) 


Movie Ratings
Will write a page regarding this and add this to all animated feature entries in the future.

Who will like this?
Pokémon fans who loved Mewtwo and the anime series!!
Btw, I didn't know this is a Pokémon television film until this year!!

Details of the movie
Director: Kunihiko Yuyama
Producer: Takemoto Mori, Choji Yoshikawa
Story: Satoshi Tajiri
Screenplay: Takeshi Shudō, Kōji Fukasawa
Cinematography: Not sure.
Music: Ralph Schuckett, Kenneth Lampl
Studio: OLM, Inc.
Starring: Rica Matsumoto, Ikue Ōtani, Mayumi Iizuka, Yūji Ueda, Megumi Hayashibara, Shin'ichirō Miki, Inuko Inuyama, Masachika Ichimura
Full Credit: [IMDb]
Distributor: Shogakukan Productions, Warner Home Video
Country: Japan
Language: Japanese, English
Genre: Action Adventure Drama Family Sci-Fi
Running time: 60 mins
Budget: Not sure.
Box office: Not applicable.

Official website(s)

Related
The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon (2006)

Mewtwo Returns (2000) Behind the Scenes
N/A

Favorite Movie Character

Mewtwo's eyes in Mewtwo Returns.

My favorite character would be Mewtwo! Initially Mewtwo is full of hatred and vengeance but he has changed and becomes a much more caring and open-minded Pokémon. He cares deeply for everyone especially his Pokémon clone friends in which he brought them all to the beautiful and secluded Mt. Quena to start a new life. Although Mewtwo is a lost and confused child and his birth is a sad story, he has come to accept it and moved on optimistically!

My favorite quote from him is "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"!

Mewtwo Returns (2000) Movie Quotes
Special thanks to Copy Cat for the Movie Transcript!! Not compilation complete yet.
  1. I am Mewtwo. I am unlike other Pokémon. This is my story. A team of scientists working to create the world's most powerful Pokémon discovered a fossilized remnant of Mew, and from it created me.
  2. Soon the Team Rocket leader, who had ordered my creation, trained me to control my abilities. But he viewed me solely as his personal property.
  3. You were created by humans to obey humans.
  4. I was not born a Pokémon, I was created. And my creators have used and betrayed me. So, I stand alone!
  5. After destroying his laboratory, I created my own. I lured Pokémon trainers to my island fortress to create a powerful new breed of Pokémon and wreak vengeance on humans. I seized their Pokémon and cloned them, just as I have been cloned from Mew. But soon, I encountered my nemesis.
  6. A great battle ensued. A battle to determine who would rule: The Pokémon born into this world, or the cloned Pokémon created in mine. The clashes were brutal. And as Mew and I summoned all of our strength for one final confrontation, the young trainer cried out for the fighting to cease.
  7. His selfless actions puzzled me. He was a human who valued all Pokémon, whether born or created. Our battling ceased. Finally, my eyes had been opened... as had my heart. The Pokémon clones and I left to find a place where we could live in peace, and I used my psychic powers to wipe out the memory of our struggle. Now I am forgotten by all but the one who created me, the one whose desire to control me still burns.
  8. These are live satellite pictures of a remote area of the Johto region. Extreme weather conditions make it uninhabitable... for people. But keep watching.
  9. This place is beautiful. But what right have I to judge? What do I know of this world and its beauty? I am not like other creatures. I am not of this world. We are clones, copies, products of science. We are outcasts. So we must live as outcasts, if we are to live at all. We shall stay here, far from the world, far from man. It is our only hope. For if we do not live in secret, we shall never live in peace.
  10. Why not? We still have time to make it!
  11. I've been planning to try a brand new recipe and make spicy pizza pancakes for lunch.
  12. Hey, I know. I'll use my trusty frying pan as a drying pan!
  13. According to the guidebook, "The unique geologic formations and atmospheric conditions at Purity Canyon create severe and unpredictable weather. Because blizzards, thunderstorms, and typhoons are likely, we advise tourists to avoid this area."
  14. I don't believe a word of it! Those guides sensationalize everything!
  15. How many times must our plans be destroyed? Before they're allowed to be tried?
  16. Team Rocket's blasting off again!!
  17. Forget the bus. If you'd like to stay dry there's plenty of room under my frying pan if we get real close!
  18. Not when the weather gets like this. The wind and the rain are treacherous here, and the roads can become incredibly dangerous. It's hard enough to make it by bus. By foot you don't stand a chance! Why don't we all get out of this rain?
  19. You ask, why did I save those humans?
  20. For our own protection. An accident could bring human rescuers. We might be discovered, and our peace disrupted.
  21. You believe there is another reason? That I felt concern, that I cared about the safety of those humans?
  22. I assure that was not the case. I could never feel compassion for humans.
  23. Well, you could take a boat down Purity River at the base of the canyon and get across the valley that way.
  24. Oh, I'd love to take a boat ride, Luna! My family runs a water Pokémon gym, and I just love the water!
  25. Well, if you love water, you came to the right place!
  26. This water is absolutely delicious! This is the most devastatingly delicious drink I've ever encountered!
  27. Aaahh! It makes me feel refreshingly alive and tingly!
  28. I guess it's good, but how good can water be?
  29. Mmmm~If you ask me, it kinda tastes like something's been swimming around in it.
  30. We should've known better than to ask you!
  31. You have no taste!
  32. Looks like four out of five water drinkers prefer Purity River water.
  33. I can hardly wait to ride on a river that's this super pure and clean! Come on, guys, let's go!
  34. It's fine with me, but I wouldn't be so happy about this nice clean water if I were you.
  35. I know how much you hate Bug Pokémon, and nice clean water's just what Bug Pokémon love.
  36. That's just fine because this is one time I'm not going to let Bug Pokémon bug me!
  37. I say, "Bring on the bugs!"
  38. Hey, look there! It's a Christmas tree!
  39. Not quite. That's a flock of Ledian. Ledian are Bug Pokémon. They glow like that on clear, starry nights.
  40. Ledian, huh? You know, guys, I think I'm starting to get to like bugs.
  41. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of Beedrill, too. With this many Kakuna here, there's gotta be some around.
  42. Mt. Quena is the highest mountain in the whole Johto region. At the top of Mt. Quena is Clarity Lake. It goes on for miles and miles, and the water is incredibly clean and clear. It's beautiful, but humans could never live there. The height of the mountain and the weather even keeps visitors away. The only ones that live up there are some wild Pokémon, ones that can thrive in the extreme conditions.
  43. Well, if there are Pokémon up there, I say we go!
  44. Some people say the Butterfree come here to lay their eggs on Mt. Quena.
  45. For these Pokémon, life is as it should be. They were born into this world. It is their home. They belong here. We were not born as they were. We are not of this world. We do not belong in it. But where do we belong?
  46. Do we truly deserve to live here as much as the other Pokémon do?
  47. We are unlike the others.
  48. Yes, I am sure the moon is round and bright to those Butterfree, just as it is to us and to any other Pokémon who sees it.
  49. If we see the moon as they do, why can we not see the Earth as they do? 
  50. I said "good morning" 'cause even though it's after midnight, if I said "good night," you might go to bed!
  51. Research papers?
  52. Working for the bus company is my part-time job. I'm actually here observing native Pokémon and their habitats.
  53. Wow, I can't believe I'm meeting the Luna Carson! I'm like a totally off-the-hook fan of yours! I wanna be exactly like you when I get old!
  54. Oh, Domino, what a beautiful name. So black and white, yet so playful. Please, let's find a quiet spot to line up and find out if we're a match.
  55. Haven't you learned by now that you shouldn't play if you can't win?
  56. Yes. I've been studying the Purity River for some time now, and I've discovered that its water contains a number of rare minerals that have an amazing effect on the health of both Pokémon and human volunteers. Here's a sample I took today. I've come here to explore Mt. Quena and unravel the secret of this miraculous water.
  57. If the water does heal people, they'll come here from all over the world. Thousands of people will start coming to Mt. Quena and Purity Canyon. They might destroy the very thing they're looking for.
  58. Hard, but we're prepared for trouble. We'll scale that mountain on the double. To protect the world from devastation.To unite all peoples within our nation. To denounce the evils of truth and love. To extend our reach to the stars above.
  59. I don't remember these clowns.
  60. Today's the day we capture Pikachu!
  61. We burst that thing before and we'll do it again!
  62. You may have done it before, but not anymore! We've always had the team, but now we've finally got the rockets.
  63. You can't go. The air currents in this valley are treacherous. If you launch that rocket, there's a good chance we'll never see you again.
  64. Finally, a man with intelligence, intensity, and a ruggedly attractive stubble who cares about me passionately. What could this strange sensation be? It must be love! But our love can never be. I have already given my heart to Team Rocket. Please, don't try to beg. I must leave you.
  65. When it comes to romance, she's got a pretty vivid imagination.
  66. I'm not finished yet! Now we must go our separate ways, but I hope that when you think of me, as you most certainly will, remember that there is something good in "good-bye."
  67. Farewell, my love. This unfeeling rocket now carries me away towards the pale and heartless moon.
  68. The weather's changing again. Taking off in a balloon like that is careless and reckless. 
  69. You forgot to mention brainless.
  70. If they get away, I might never see Pikachu again. I have to follow Team Rocket, no matter what.
  71. You knew this would be tough. You should've stayed at the lodge.
  72. Staying there alone would've been even scarier.
  73. The storm is over... for now.
  74. I think I see just what we're looking for. It's definitely Mewtwo.
  75. You got away from me once. It won't happen again, my friend.
  76. Those children again. Can this be an accident, or is it something... more?
  77. That doesn't surprise me. It's natural that Mewtwo should want to be with its own kind... no matter how unnatural they may be.
  78. 009 to Team Rocket Combat Unit leaders. Proceed to coordinates.
  79. I don't reveal my true identity. That's a secret I keep to myself. Things are simpler that way. But, within the elite ranks of Team Rocket, I have an identity that's known to all! Haha! My fellow agents know me as 009, Domino, but my adversaries know me as simply the Black Tulip.
  80. Black Tulip? But you told me that you worked for the Pokémon Institute.
  81. I do, but Team Rocket has agents working everywhere. You just never know. It may look innocent, but a friendly face may be hiding our fiercest foe.
  82. Do either of you think it might be a good idea to explore the possibility of utilizing an alternate means of transportation?
  83. At least this time, we finally captured the twerp's Pikachu. That's certainly progress.
  84. Maybe it wants to play.
  85. What are they saying, Meowth?
  86. That one up there said, "So, we meet again."
  87. It ain't happy. It's saying, "You shouldn't have come here. This place is ours."
  88. We came here to make a new home and live in peace, but you brought humans, and humans are the last thing Pokémon need, especially clone Pokémon.
  89. I never saw a clone Pokémon before. Wonder what they are.
  90. Get out, or you'll regret it!
  91. Looks like they're about to battle!
  92. Pikachu versus Pikachu? This could be the match of the year!
  93. Fighting is senseless.
  94. There is nothing to be gained from such battling. You are the same as the other Pokémon, neither stronger nor weaker. You proved that the last time we met and battled the Pokémon from which we were copied.
  95. This is awfully confusing.
  96. This is like the sequel to a movie I missed.
  97. I searched for a place to live in secret and in peace. Now these humans have found us again. Perhaps we shall never find peace.
  98. I know you're psychic, but have we met before?
  99. It's saying their only choice is to stand their ground. If they don't, their home will get taken away from them. They gotta battle.
  100. Pikachu's right. There's no reason for you to fight us Pokémon.
  101. The moon reflects the light of the sun. Pokémon born into this world may walk freely in that sun. But we were created. Reflections. We are shadows. Perhaps we should not live in sunlight, but in the shadows of moonlight.
  102. It's saying that it ain't fair that they have to live like shadows.
  103. This place is beautiful. But beyond this place, there's a big, wide world.
  104. You know that world, don't you, Pikachu? You were born in it, and you can live in it, any way and anywhere you want! But because of what we are, we can't live in that world like you do. Whatever we do or wherever we go, we don't belong
  105. I know that feeling. Ever since I was a little girl, the world has always treated me as a misfit. As an outcast. As someone who doesn't really belong. So prepare for trouble!
  106. And make it double. We unite all peoples, we extend our reach, we blast off. So, surrender now or prepare to fight!
  107. We are what we are. We will remain here, and live in peace.
  108. I won't be fine. Not until I see Pikachu again.
  109. I have an idea. See that giant tree trunk lying over there? We'll build a canoe out of it.
  110. We can't let them see us here. The quicker we get there, the better.
  111. If the humans will not leave us in peace, so be it. We will leave this place and search for another. We will continue to search until we find a place to live... and to belong.
  112. Do you really want the boss to see us in another humiliating situation?
  113. It said, "If we don't do something to get out of here, they're gonna catch us and use us in Pokémon cloning experiments."
  114. Just because we're clones don't mean they can treat us any way they want!
  115. I say we leave this place and go wherever we please!
  116. That's great news. Ask them to bring us, too. We'll be glad to go absolutely anywhere!
  117. They didn't tell us we were going to prison.
  118. Next time we use a travel agent.
  119. You humans are all the same. What'd you expect them to do, invite Team Rocket along for the ride?
  120. You're on Team Rocket. Why aren't you locked up like we are?
  121. Well, I'm valuable 'cause I can talk human talk. That'll come in handy.
  122. Take it easy, you two. Don't you see this is the perfect opportunity?
  123. I'll take Pikachu straight to the boss. He'll be so happy, I bet I'll finally get a Team Rocket uniform!
  124. Should I let them go? All creatures ought to control their own destinies. Or should I force them to stay? Here I can use my powers to protect them from harm. But do I have the right to keep them from living as they choose? Which is more important: Their safety... or their freedom?
  125. Luna, this spring must be the source for Purity River. The water's chemical makeup is astounding!
  126. The human body, in fact all living things, are made up of mostly water. Water is essential for life. And the quality of the water helps determine the quality of life.
  127. Yes. This place is bursting with life. That's because it's clean here. Untouched. Pure. And the source of that purity is the spring.
  128. Maybe this spring isn't just the source of all the water in Purity Canyon. It could be a whole new way to bring health and happiness to the whole world. Haha! We may be standing on the edge of the most important discovery in medical history!
  129. Wow, without a Pokémon breeder around, it's amazing they all look so healthy.
  130. In a habitat as clean as this one, they couldn't help but grow up to be strong and healthy. The air, the food, and the water are all natural.
  131. They're watching over them from up there. They're all very protective and very proud. The babies here are living happy, healthy lives.
  132. I think we should move on now. They might get nervous.
  133. Sorry, pal. I didn't mean to scratch you up. I just don't want them to catch ya! Come on. We gotta get outta here! Run for it!
  134. Leave this place at once. I warn you, my strength is far greater than when we first met.
  135. Your increased strength comes as no surprise. Fortunately, my technicians have predicted it, and they've created new technology to deal with it.
  136. You should fear my powers most of all. You cannot conquer me.
  137. Your psychic attacks bend the wills of living creatures, but they cannot influence machines.
  138. Well done, Mewtwo. You have demonstrated that technology has its limits. An important lesson to keep in mind. But living creatures have their limits, too.
  139. Do not test the limits of my power.
  140. So, I understand that some Pokémon friends of yours are over on that island. Now we'll see how powerful your loyalties are.
  141. You are despicable.
  142. If Meowth doesn't come back, what do we do about the motto?
  143. Aren't they simply adorable!
  144. Those Pokémon are just babies! Leave them alone!
  145. I know trainers match their Pokémon with Poke Balls, but I prefer our method. Make certain that not a single one gets away. These Pokémon are just going to be used in experiments and as bait for Mewtwo. No sense in wasting Poke Balls.
  146. Well, what do we have here? Some rare and valuable Pokémon?
  147. You know very well we're not Pokémon!
  148. Oh, that's right. I was mistaken. Team Rocket agents are as useless as you are rare. But they certainly are not very valuable!
  149. I have to admit I ain't got a lot of experience at being unselfish. But if you can do it, I guess I can give it a try.
  150. We must live where and how we choose!
  151. I've been expecting you. This little Nidoqueen sure is a cutie!
  152. Release that young one.
  153. Maybe that's something you should take up with my boss. Here he is now.
  154. I suggest you reconsider your opinion. If you choose to defy me, your fellow creation will all be used in our experiments and will certainly leave this world.
  155. This is not meant to destroy you. It has been developed to simply harness your abilities and mold your will to my purposes.
  156. That's a good boy. Now you won't be able to run away from me again.
  157. You may control my body, but you will never my will!
  158. You are strong, Mewtwo, but pain makes the body master of the will. Let's see how long they struggle. This is a very charming place. I had a feeling that you would find a pretty little hideaway like this. It's perfect for my new laboratory. Finally, I will create a vast army of the world's most powerful Pokémon. And you, you will be at its head, carrying out my commands! Together, we will rule the earth!
  159. It's stronger than I realized. Its brainwaves haven't altered at the least! If this goes on much longer, its body will be destroyed before its will is!
  160. You can't destroy it. It could take years to clone it again!
  161. I know that! But this has become a battle between Mewtwo's will and mine!
  162. Well, don't take it out on me! Can't you two work faster? Use some elbow grease. I want to be able to see my face in that floor! Now, hurry up!
  163. They say they're coming, and they're very angry.
  164. The Bug Pokémon. They're mad at the people that are polluting the lake. And they're coming to stop them!
  165. I guess that floor we mopped is still a little slippery. Perfect for a character like her!
  166. What happened, Domino? You looked fine when you first came in, but now your face seems a little pail! (pale)
  167. Then I must use what remains of my power. Either these machines will be destroyed or I will be! 
  168. Yes, but I have also destroyed... myself.
  169. The spring. They're saying, "Come to the spring, Mewtwo!"
  170. You're not going anywhere. Mewtwo belongs to me and I alone will be the one to decide whether it will survive or not.
  171. Why? Why are you helping me?
  172. Well, for one thing, you saved my Pikachu. That's a good reason.
  173. Do you always need a reason to help somebody?
  174. Perhaps you are unique. A unique human. One of a kind.
  175. You're one of a kind, too. Everybody is.
  176. I do not know what I am. And soon it may not matter.
  177. Ash, wait. You can't get that Pokémon near the water. It might contaminate the whole spring. This water has minerals humans need.
  178. I'm sorry, but right now the one who needs that water most is Mewtwo!
  179. I have seen this place. I have been here before. Was it in my dreams? But this is no dream. I feel new life rising within me. Mew? If these waters have the same restoring effect on me as they do on other Pokémon... Pokémon who belong to this world... could it be... that this world is my rightful place, too?
  180. Stop it! You can't come here and destroy the spring!
  181. Yes, I can. This place belongs to me.
  182. You will not defile this place. It does not belong to you... any more than I do!
  183. This place has given me new life. Now I shall use all my power to defend it.
  184. What's happened here? What's going on? Why is everyone standing around? Where is Mewtwo!?
  185. We may be in luck. We may be able to create a synthetic version in the lab.
  186. I have moved the lake and the spring beneath Mt. Quena. They will be protected here.
  187. You will tell no one. Once you leave this place, you must leave your memories of me and all that you have seen here.
  188. It's got nothing to do with my nose. It's what all the other Pokémon are saying.
  189. It's only natural to wonder about who and where you came from. And some day these little ones will gonna want some answers. Only there won't be any. Not if you're going to make everybody forget! So what if their parents were clones? They're all living creatures. They deserve to live. And they deserve to know about themselves just as much as you, or me, or anybody does. That's what we think.
  190. I think we should remember, too. Meowth is right.
  191. And just forgetting things doesn't change the fact that they happened.
  192. Don't you think everyone deserves to know who they are and where they came from?
  193. Yes. They deserve to remember. If we are able to look to the future as other Pokémon do, we must also be able to look to the past. The shame of that past is not ours. It belongs to those who used our past to set us apart. To ensure the safety of all my fellow Pokémon and of this healing place, I will clear only the memories of those who seek to destroy them.
  194. Only they shall forget.
  195. 009, why are we here? What's the Combat Unit doing?
  196. Maybe we're on some kind of a secret mission.
  197. Secret mission, what kind of secret mission?
  198. I don't know any more than you do, but if we don't get out of here now it won't be secret!
  199. Hm! We should withdraw our forces at once. It's strange, but I have the feeling that I have been utterly defeated.
  200. If you ever see our balloon, fly by and say hello!
  201. If, someday, you hear my voice, know that it is my spirit calling across time and space to yours.
  202. I won't be going back. Luna and I discovered we have a lot in common besides research.
  203. I will remember you always.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel